Well friends it is WIAW and the 30 Day #RealFoodRestart is coming to a close.
My last 30 days were admittedly not a 100% on point. I had a piece of cake at a baby shower. I definitely had some wine and candy on Saturday to celebrate the move with friends. But the 30 day challenge did help me rethink my daily diet and break some of the bad habits I had gotten into over the holidays.
I don't believe "cleanses" or "diet restarts" are the quick fixes or the cure-alls that they are often marketed to be. But I do think everyone find themselves slipping into bad habits from time to time - no matter how disciplined you are. I definitely found myself doing that over the holidays. So one of the amazing things about taking your diet and totally turning it upside down, is that it helps you take a good hard look at what works and what doesn't. It also asks you to get creative, try new things, incorporate new recipes, and just generally do things a little differently.
Several of you also took on the #RealFoodRestart Challenge on Instagram and on your blogs. And I have some prizes up for grabs! If you see your name listed below - one of your #RealFoodRestart posts were randomly selected! Please email me at email@example.com and I will coordinate the shipment of your prizes!
@LZack via instagram - Tosca Reno’s – The Eat Clean Diet for Family and Kids
@noellesnotebook via instagram - Michael Moss - Salt, Sugar, Fat
@maryniasmom via instagram - Dr. Natasha Turner - The Carb Sensitivity Program
One of best things about the #RealFoodRestart was that it helped me discover some fantastic new recipes that will now be staples in my weekly meal plans. I discovered new fueling techniques. And just generally gave my diet a good solid once over. All of which has helped me move forward better educated and with a better understanding of what works for me and my body.
This creation was a bit of - "what do we have left in the fridge to use up, before we go grocery shopping" - kind of dish. But it really turn out, so I had to share.
Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
Prep Time: 60 min.
Serves: 4 or 2 adults for dinner and leftover lunch
2 cups of Rigatoni
1 head of Cauliflower (Grated)
1 bunch of Kale (Chopped)
2 shallots (Diced)
2 knobs of garlic (Diced)
2 tbsp. EVO
1 cup Almond Milk
1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
1/4 cup Swiss Cheese (Grated)
2 green onions (Diced)
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. of paprika
1 tsp salt
*Note: if you would like to make this dish Dairy-Free you can substitute Diaya Cheese for the Cheddar and Swiss recommended*
1. Put a large pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. And add rigatoni.
2. Use the cheese grater to grate the head of cauliflower. Dice the shallots, garlic, and Kale.
3. Place the EVO in a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the shallows and garlic - and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the grated cauliflower and cook through for 5-10 minutes.
5. Add the kale to the veggie mixture until it cooks down. Remove from the heat.
6. Add almond milk, cheddar cheese, and swiss cheese to the pan of veggies.
7. Mix veggies and pasta together. Stir in black pepper, Paprika, and salt. in a large baking dish.
8. Top with diced green onion and put baking dish in a oven preheated to 350F. Bake for 25 minutes.
9. Broil the top for 4 minutes and serve.
Hope you all enjoy!
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,