It is another #WIAW and the first full week of the #RealFoodRestart Challenge. How did everyone's first week go?! I have to say all-in-all the first week went really well. I started off documenting all of my Daily Eats on Instagram this week. But as we crept closer to the weekend I got a little hectic with work, house projects, and moving. So my daily documentation kind of fell off. I am going try to keep my log going this week!
Aside from a small Birthday Cupcake for a friend on Saturday I stayed off the sugar wagon this week. Typically when my schedule gets frantic I reach for sugar, so I was pretty happy with my self-restraint given the weekend we had.
And I have to say, I am impressed with what a difference just one week makes. No ant-acids were required this week and I didn't have any migraines! I have always known that high sugar was not my friend, but this week really drove it home. Sugar really has to be a rare/only in moderation ingredient in my diet. Lesson Learned (again haha).
As part of my #RealFoodRestart I have been trying to limit processed things and increase my veggie intake. So I opted for a Spaghetti Squash inside of Spaghetti this week, and it was delicious! So I wanted to share the recipe with you all - it is an easy substitution but big on flavor.
Spaghetti Squash and Meat Sauce
1 Spaghetti Squash
1 package of ground turkey
1/2 a Red Onion (diced)
1 Pepper (diced)
2 bunches of Spinach
2 tbsp. of EVO
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
1 can of Organic Tomato Sauce
1. Pre-heat the Oven to 350
2. Cut the Spaghetti Squash in half. Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil, and place the flat/cut half down. Bake for 45 min.
3. Add EVO to a skillet on medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey - season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Brown the meat, remove from skillet, and set aside.
4. Remove the excess oil, add the red onion and peppers and sauté in the skillet.
5. Add meat and tomato sauce to the veggies and allow the ingredients to simmer for 20 minutes. I recommend use organic tomato sauce if you are using pre-made - it helps eliminate some of excess sugar often found in packaged sauces. You can also use homemade!
6. Scrap the filling of the Spaghetti with a fork - it will come out looking like noodles.
7. Top the squash with the sauce mixture and enjoy!
Do you have a favourite Veggie Packed Meal? Tell me how your week went?
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,