Last week, I must confess, I let my stress get the best of me. I had a busy week with lots of work deadlines and events. I was also trying to balance scheduling other life things, while feeling a little frustrated about the prospect of my upcoming medical drama. And I found myself stress eating. Some of it was for convenience. And the rest was just me eating my feelings. I had Pizza twice. I had a bag of sour patch kids. And I ate a good portion of 2 bags of chips. I woke up Monday morning with an upset stomach (*shocking I know?!) and realized that perhaps this is not the best way to prep for surgery #7.
So I posted on Instagram that I was going to try the "Stop Eating Junk Food All the Time" diet, and a whole bunch of you also piped up (guess I am not the only one!). So I decided to start a 1 month #NoJunkFoodChallenge. There is nothing crazy involved, the goals are just...
- No Junk Food/Fast Food
- Focus on eating all whole/real foods (as opposed to processed)
- Try to eat an extra dose of fruit and veggies each day
So if you are game, and you want to join in, use the hashtag and feel free to tag me as well (@darwinianfail). And we can all plan to have a healthier month!
Plus since it is WIAW I have one of my new favourite recipes for you. I made this tart a couple weeks ago for friends, and it was a hit!
1/2 cup of cream
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp of EVO
1 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup chopped shallots
2 cloves chopped garlic
2 tsp fresh thyme
500g Oyster Mushrooms
500g Brown Mushroom
150g of dried wild forest mushroom mix
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup of fresh Pecorino Romano Cheese (grated)
2 tbsp of Parsley
1 pie shell - you can make your own, or if you are lazy like me, just buy a pre-made one
1. Preheat over to 375F. And Pre-bake the pie shell
2. Place dried mushroom in a bowl of boiling water, and let sit while you prep other ingredients.
3. Combine cream, egg, and season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat oil and butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots of saute for 1-2 minutes. Add garlic, fresh mushrooms, and thyme, saute for 5 minutes.
5. Drain rehydrated mushrooms and add to plan with balsamic vinegar and soy sauce. Cook until sauce has evaporated. Set mixture aside to cool in a bowl.
6. Blend in cream and egg mixture with mushroom mixture. Place into pre-baked pie shell, sprinkle with cheese and parsely. Bake for 25 minutes and serve.
Hope you guys enjoy!
Love your Favourite Darwinian Fail,