Enter Giddy Yoyo. I stumbled upon them a few months ago at the Toronto Yoga Show, and immediately fell in love with their company and their chocolate. I actually started taking half a bar with me on my long rides as a sugar-boost and a little pick-me-up. It is a local company and all of their chocolate is organic, vegan, and fair-trade. So I found myself looking into all of their other products. They carry a whole line of Superfoods, and immediately thought they would be ideal for my training and for fueling me on race day. And I have been in the kitchen experimenting this week with their Goji Berries.
Goji Berries are....
- common in traditional Chinese medicine, and some claim they are natural remedies for diabetes, hypertension, malaria or even fever
- loaded with beta-carotene which helps promote healthy skin and tissue regeneration.
- have also been known to help boost the immune system and protect the eyes
- an excellent source of antioxidants because of their oxygen radical absorbance capacity (ORAC) value
Cacao Berry Trail Mix:
2 cups Roasted Almonds
1 cup Goji Berry
2 tbsp Cacao Nibs
- Just mix ingredients together and then portion out as required. I got 4 serving sizes out of this mix.
Gogi Berry and Blueberry Pancakes:
**Make 8 good size pancakes**
2 cup Bob's Red Mill Buttermilk Pancake Mix
2 eggs (or vegan egg replacer 2 tbsp flax seeds and 6 tbsp water blended)
1.5 cup of almond milk
1/2 cup Blueberries
1/2 cup goji berries
2 tbsp of coconut oil.
1. Mix together the Pancake mix (I used Bob's last weekend, but I also really like Pamela's Gluten-Free mix as well), eggs, and almond milk until batter in smooth
2. Preheat the pan to medium heat and place 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil in the pan (replace oil after each pancake batch)
3. Stir berries into the batter.
3. Portion out the batter and cook until edges are brown. Flip and allow the other side to cook.
4. Top with additional berries and maple syrup!
Hope you guys enjoy!
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,