I started practicing yoga about 9 years ago now. I walked in Tanya's Hot Yoga studio that fateful day hoping to shed some pounds and get that cute Lululemon butt all the girls were rocking around campus. But as it turned out, I left with so much more.
Over the years yoga has always been in my life – sometime just on the peripheries and at others it takes on a greater role. But it always seems to take on that greater role in times of turmoil. So after losing my Dad this past summer, I found myself searching for a place to heal, and I found myself in a hot yoga class. Yoga has long helped me find balance, restore my spirit, and heal my broken heart (both physically and metaphorically).
On the last day of 2013 I found myself in a packed class at my local Moksha Studio. We set our intention for the year ahead. We sought healing for the year that had past. And I reflected on the invaluable lessons I have learned from my practice.
- You only have one body, one heart, one mind, and one soul – Choose to Honor Yourself.
- The Breath is Powerful and Restorative.
- You can breathe in what you need, and breathe out what you don’t.
- It is okay to surrender your fear.
- Having a flexible body is good for your health, and having a flexible mind is good for your soul.
- A grateful heart and joyful spirit shine from within.
- The physical expression of strength is a reminder of your spiritual progress.
- Be Present and Thankful for where you are today.
- Find the Joy in your Journey
- Life filled with Love and Light is a better life.
For these reasons and many others I choose to honour myself once a week with yoga. No matter what I need physically, mentally, spiritually - I always seem to find it within confines of the four corners of my yoga mat. And while yoga is a great way to balance my body, I know it is even better for my soul.
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,