1. First and foremost, things have finally healed! (**cue the trumpets and the confetti**) Holy Moley that took awhile! It has taken close to 18 months and an additional surgery. But I am finally at a place where it doesn't hurt to touch them.
2. My left side is still weak. During long runs and after a serious workout my neck and back on that side often cramp and fatigue. It is clear that I am still overcompensating for my weakened chest wall.
3. But I am finally at a place where I think I can safely start work on strengthen my upper body again. I have avoided any serious upper body workouts to allow the site time to heal. But now I think I can gradually start to incorporate more. And hopefully that will also help improve my triathlon performance.
4. If I wanna be nit-picky about things, then at this point and time I think they are too big. Implants don't change as your body does. And I am probably the smallest I have ever been. Leaving my boobs looking a little more large and in charge than I am probably comfortable with.
5. But in all honesty, I don't care enough to change them. If i could wave a magic wand and make them smaller - I probably would. But in the real world, changing them means another surgery, so no thanks. And I assume there will be a point in my life where I wish they were a little bit bigger. So we'll just take them as they are.
6. The hot topic as of late is nipple reconstruction. And in truth, the techniques they have now are amazing. But I think for me... I am going to pass. There are moments where I feel flashes of insecurity. But I just don't feel like I am up for all the medical rigamarole. So my boobs will remain happily nipple-less.
7. I did see this video and beautiful tattoo idea. I kind of love it! I am not so sure this would suit me. But I think it is beautiful anyways... And I will keep it my back pocket as a solid MAYBE. (**for those inquiring minds who are wondering what things look like post-mastectomy and reconstruction - this gives you a pretty good idea of what I am working with***)
And that pretty much sums up all that's going on in the boob department. It has been a long road, with many other questions and possibilities still on the horizon. But I think I am finally at a place where things are healed, healthy, and happy.
What do you think about the Tattoo Art Option? Love to hear your thoughts?
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail