Everyone has that one meal, that one thing, that one treat that they deem the ultimate comfort food. For me that is Mac and Cheese. I have loved this meal ever since I was a little kid. There is just something about it that makes me feel warm, comfortable, safe, and happy. And that glorious Mac and Cheese delicious-ness has been something I have missed desperately since I said “Good-bye Gluten” and “Good-bye Dairy”. So I spent some time in the kitchen a few weeks back to see if I could somehow replicate the yummy comfort I craved, but still manage to keep the tummy happy. I am pleased to report I succeeded! And I have the recipe for you for this week's What I Ate Wednesday.
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Mac and Cheese
2 cups Gluten-Free Macaroni (I used Glutino Macaroni)
½ cup Vegan Cheese (I used Daiya Cheese)
2 eggs, whisked
½ cup almond milk
Green Onions (2 stalks chopped)
2 cups of Spinach
2 tbsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper
1. Bring pot of water to a boil and cook Gluten-Free Macaroni as directed and drain.
2. In a skillet sautéed green onion and spinach, cooked until tender on medium heat.
3. Add cooked pasta to skillet and stir in eggs, almond milk, and most of the vegan cheese – set some “cheese” aside to top final product. Stir continuously until the mixture binds and thickens.
4. When the mixture has a thicker sauce like consistency transfer entire mixture to a baking dish. Top with left over “cheese”, chilli powder, salt, and pepper.
5. Place in the oven on Broil so the “cheese” melts and begins to brown approximately 3 minutes.
6. Plate and Serve
What’s Your Favourite Comfort Food?
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,