Sunday, 30 June 2013

July #BodyLOVE Summer Challenge

Okay friends, so over the past few months I have started getting a lot of emails, messages on social media, comments, and questions. People wanting to know what I eat? How many calories I burn and consume? How many miles I run? Even what I weigh?

All of this talk hurts my heart. I have been there. I get it. But it doesn't have to be that way.

I have spent more time than I care to admit counting calories, berating myself in front of the mirror, having meltdowns about the size of my thighs, and cursing my inability to stick to my restrictive diets and insane fitness objectives. I have spent too many mornings stressing about the number on the scale or the size of my jeans. I let those numbers rule my life for so long. So much energy was stolen from my life with this type of negativity.

But that is how we are taught to think about health - diets, denial, restrictions...More often than not unhealthy attitudes hide behind a "healthy" title. And these ideas of deprivation and restraint can negatively affected both your health and your body. And this type of guilt-driven behaviour has a real negative impact on our self-esteem.

So what if this Summer I challenged you to change all of that? What if we got rid of the scale? What if we decided to silence that inner critic? And what if we started measuring success in terms of Health, Confidence, Happiness, and Love? Would you want to join me?

Let's make this Summer about #BodyLOVE!

Step 1 - Get Rid of Your Scale!
Gasp! I know! Not forever, but for this month. Put it in the closet. Skip weighing in at the gym. No scale for the next 4 weeks! Choose health for Health - not for a number.

Step 2 - Commit to Fit 4-6x a Week
Pick your poison - Run, Crossfit, Yoga, Weights, Hiking, Biking, Swim - whatever you want to do to get your sweat on. Just commit to get moving for 30-60 minutes 4-6x a week for the month of July. But commit to take care of yourself. Commit to get make your body stronger. Commit to make your body healthier. Commit to feel good!

Step 3 - Embrace Healthy Whole Foods
This is not about following any crazy rules, or dubbing food good or bad. It is just an effort to eat healthy, whole, nourishing food to help give the body the fuel it needs. I follow the 80/20 rule. I try to eat clean, whole, nutritious food 80% of the time, but sometime a girl just needs a cookie or a glass of wine and that makes up the other 20% of my diet. It is all about balance!

Step 4 - Give Yourself Some Love
Take time out once a week to do something fun and fabulous for yourself! Go get ice cream. Treat yourself to a mani/pedi or a new outfit. Sleep in. Just do something to rest, relax, and thank yourself for being AWESOME!

It is that Easy! And by the end of 4 weeks you will see amazing progress and you will have made your new healthy routine a habit. And more importantly we will all learn how to give our bodies so much need LOVE!
And if all that wasn't enough to get you excited, I will be giving away a pair of the new Mizuno Wave Sayonaras every week to one of my #BodyLOVE participants! Nothing like a new pair of shoes to get you excited about a Summer Challenge right?!

How do you Participate:
Leave a comment here sharing your commitment to #BodyLOVE this week

Tweet: "I am joining the #BodyLOVE Summer Challenge with @Darwinianfail and @MizunoRunning"
 Instagram: Share your journey! Take photos sharing your workouts, your #BodyLOVE love-fest, and where you are hiding your scale this week - tag @darwinianfail and use the #BodyLOVE hashtag so I can see your progress we can all support each other! 

*Each action gets you and additional entry, so make sure you leave a separate comment here telling me what you did (ie. if you do all 5 leave me 5 separate comments so you get 5 entries)*

Our first #BodyLOVE winner will be chosen Friday! So let's start the summer off right!
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,