So over the past few weeks I have been seeking guidance and inspiration from Ultra Runner Rich Roll. Not only is he one thrid of the reason I have been inspired to go more plant-based with my diet. But his journey from overweight father to elite ultra runner has left me feeling like a gal with robot ticker and no boobs can make it too!
Of course being the dweeby little Run Nerd that I am, I flagged a few of my favourite quotes to go back to as my training progressed. And I wanted to share my favs with you. Just in case you need a little motivation boost this weekend too!!
- I am the farthest thing from a natural born runner. In fact, I don't consider myself a runner at all. Any success I've achieved on foot is more a matter of fitness and discipline, than innate ability.
- The typical amateur endurance athlete trains far too hard on the aerobid and active recovery days. But not nearly hard enough on the intense days. A certain level of proficientcy can be achieved this way, but full potential is never realized.
- There's simply nothing like a near-death experience to remind one of the impermanence of everything. And living imprisoned by fear only to die with regret over dreams postponed was life neither of us was interested in.
- The idea that when you believe you've reached your absolute limit, you've only tapped into about 40% of what you're truly capable of. The barrier isn't the body. It's the mind.
- Because no matter how relaxed you try to be, there's no escaping the fact that 26.2 miles is still 26.2 miles.
- At times the pain of confronting seemingly insurmountable obstacles was so intense that comfort came only through living completely in the moment. Yet with obstacles come the opportunity for growth. And if you're not growing, you're not living.
- If you show up and stay present, that step will eventually become a giant leap forward. And then you'll show us who you really are.
Love Your Favourite Darwinian Fail,