One of my favourite Runspiration techniques these days - is curling up with a Running Biography by one of the GREATS before bed. And since I have been stuck in recovery mode, I have been living vicariously. And my bedside table is littered with these gems. I fall asleep dreaming of epic distances. Longing for that perfect run. And craving that burn and that sweat. Needless to say when my alarm goes off in the early AM - I am excited to log those miles.
Scott Jurek's Eat & Run. And like the dweeb that I am, I flagged some of my favourite Runspiration quotes to go back to as my training progressed. I wanted to share my favs with you. Just in case you need a little motivation boost this weekend too!!
- Because I had learned that once you started something you didn't quit, because in life, much like an ultramarathon, you have to keep pressing foward.
- I ran because over coming the difficulties of an ultramarathon reminded me that I could overcome the difficulties of life, that overcoming difficulties was life. (*** <--- MY FAV!!***)
- By the time I started running, I knew how to suffer.
- When I hear a runner say he "runs his own race", what I hear is bushido. Bushido is letting go of the past and the future and focusing on the moment...to strengthen my mind's control over my body.
- Just do the distance, and that will (usually) save you.
- If I thought biology was destiny, I would have given up a long time ago.
- Sometimes we have to go to dark places. Things will be better off and you'll grow. You just don't know it now.
- One step at a time. Stay present.
- We try our hardest and come up short. It's not the losing that defines us. It's how we lose. It's what we do afterward.
Love your Favourite Darwinian Fail,