Have you joined the Happy Heart Project yet? What are you waiting for? You could win your own brand new pair of Mizunos! (<---happy hearts love new shoes)Ready to step up to a diet rich in the healthy nutrients your heart craves? It is easy-peasy, and even small changes can make a big difference!
1. Eat a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fiber.
One way to make sure that your diet is rich in fruits, vegetables, and fiber, and low in saturated fats, is to divide your plate at each meal:
- 1/2 vegetables
- 1/4 high-quality protein (like legumes -- terrific sources of protein and great for a healthy heart! Or a very lean meat)
- 1/4 healthy whole grains.(don't be scared of carbs - they are not the naughty enemy they are made out to be, its all about balance and portions)
2. Eat fish at least twice a week.
3. Limit how much saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol you eat.
Only 30% of your daily calories should come from fat, with very little of that from saturated fats. Cut back on foods containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils to reduce trans fat in your diet.
4. Limit your salt intake.
5. Avoid Fad Diets
Fad diets typically result in short-term weight loss but leave you weighing even more a year later, and preventing weight gain is one of the best ways to prevent developing heart disease risk factors. Just focus on making small healthy changes to your lifestyle that you can see yourself maintaining long term. There are no crazy secrets here - portion control and a diet rich with whole healthy foods is all it takes! (<-- please check out my weight loss evolution if you need proof)
You can do it! Sending you Love and Happy Hearts!
Love your Favourite Darwinian Fail,