Our regularly scheduled Motivation Monday has been bumped, because...It's Foodie Penpal day! EEK!
One of my awesome blogging buddies, Lindsay from The Lean Green Bean, started this really fun Foodie activity called Foodie Penpal. I have been intrigued for awhile now, but this month was my first time joining the fun! Basically on the 5th of the month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. Then you contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions. You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal! Fun, right? And since today is the last day of the month....TA-DA!
|So many goodies!|
|The "Foodie" Elements!|
I received my package last week, and could barely contain my excitement during my walk home from the post office! Okay, who am I kidding...I didn't contain my excitement and opened my package on the park bench! My package was amazing and full of fun treats! So a HUGE THANK YOU AGAIN to Jamie, my amazing and thoughtful penpal!
- She included 2 books - a cookbook called "Healthy in a Hurry" and the novel "Life a la Mode"! Both of which I plan to enjoy during my last 4 weeks of sick leave.
- Some yummy chocolate goodies were also included in the package. I had never seen this type of chocolate before, so I was super intrigued! I definitely enjoyed all of it already!
- Jamie included a package of organic Wheat Germ, which will be great for some of upcoming baking projects and regular staple in my pantry.
- And lastly a Korean seafood snack. I love Korean cuisine, so I am sure it is going to quickly become a new favourite of mine!
Also as an added bonus this month, my Foodie Penpal (aka the pal I sent my package to) has agreed to guest post about her experience as well! DOUBLE REVEAL! So....here's Danielle!
Hi everyone! My name’s Danielle and I received my (awesome) foodie penpal package from Krysten this month. I am relatively new to the healthy living blog world – and have not ventured into starting my own quite yet – so Krysten has asked me to do a guest post for her! A little bit about me… I became very interested in health, fitness, and plant-based living after a family illness in January 2011. Since, I have been inspired by all the fantastic healthy living blogs out there! I have always had a love for cooking and have enjoyed exploring new ingredients (quinoa and superfoods!), cooking methods (raw food & vegan baking) and the many recipes out there.
This was my first month participating in Foodie Penpals and I am so glad I did! My package from Krysten arrived one morning at work, a fantastic way to start the day (my coworkers were also wondering how they could get involved). Before sending the box, Krysten kindly asked if I had any dietary restrictions and if I had any fitness or health goals in mind! Hoping I wouldn’t scare her off, I let Krysten know I eat a largely gluten and dairy free diet. I’m active with yoga, spinning, and strength training but have also begun running! (I hope to run a 10 km race in a few months – Krysten’s blog will be great inspiration with all the races she is running this year!)
Inside the box, Krysten did more than accommodate my eating habits! She sent me some delicious treats:
· Homemade gluten-free granola (this was the perfect snack to take with me on a recently trip to Montreal)
· Homemade gluten-free and vegan cranberry lemon flax bars (so delicious! The perfect pre-workout snack to fuel me up. PS. Krysten… You should post the recipe!)
· Jesse’s Tea from David’s Tea (I have been eyeing this flavour at David’s Tea and am so glad I can finally try it)
· Tasty biscotti!
· Some fantastic mantras Krysten has been using in her own daily life (I’ve posted these on my desk at work. They are a great way to start the day on a positive note.)
These treats were accompanied by a lovely note from Krysten and more importantly… Sparkly confetti! ;)
Thank you Krysten for such a thoughtful package! I am excited for what the next month of Foodie Penpals will bring.