27 meant Toasting the Tatas. And at 17 there was that whole heart condition/robot heart situation. So, needless to say the year of the 7 has not exactly been ideal thus far.
But what an adventure it's been.
27 started with a surgery date and a hair-brained scheme to squeeze in my first half marathon before I drifted off into a drug induced sleep.
Recovery was hard. It was painful. I was frustrated and impatient. And it took a lot longer than I anticipated.
Perhaps it was the pain meds talking (in fact I know it was) but I decided that what my recovery required was a couple adventure races, a 15 km Race, a second half marathon PR with an Olympian, and then add in my first full marathon for good measure.
I spent my recovery and the majority of my 27th year running, racing, and training, Christopher McDougall wrote in Born To Run that
"when things look worst, we run the most." That "there's a trigger in the human psyche, a coded response that actives our first and greatest survival skills when we sense the raptors approaching".Well this year they were coming for me, and I literally tried to run away. I was running away from genetics and all the things that are too scary for me to face or say out loud. Running was my sanctuary. It is where I truly found myself among the chaos.
And I also learned some things along the way...
- Health really does trump beauty. Health wins every time.
- Real beauty is a woman who believes in herself and who knows she is capable of anything she puts her mind to.
- Beauty comes from strength and determination, a joyful heart and grateful spirit. Real beauty really does shine from within
- Nothing is impossible. And I am capable of more than I ever knew.
- That my scars are a badge of honor and I wear them proudly. They simply means that I am stronger that whatever tried to hurt me. They mean I WON and I am still here to fight another day.
- That I am strong. That I am fierce. And that I will NEVER let genetics define me
- I finally stopped seeing a girl who wasn't enough and started to see a girl who was worth it
- And I learned how much I LOVE this crazy silly life of mine - Darwinian Fails and all
27 its been REAL.
Love your Favourite Darwinian Fail