Thursday, 1 November 2012

Strong is Sexy Challenge

Welcome to November! It is officially a new month! And we all know how I love to make big grand sweeping plans at the beginning of new month, accompanied by a festive, colour coordinated, OCD-Style calendar.

Well this month is no exception. And I think I need a new focus more this month than ever.

I spent the last few weeks following my marathon struggling to refocus. I was left with a lot of questions following my marathon. What did I do wrong? What is my body really capable of? What should I do differently? Will I ever be able to get my body into the shape I want?

And the answers I have discovered are...
Nothing. You did the best your could with what you had.
More than your ever thought possible.
You need to make your body strong.
Yes with lots of hard work and sweat.

I struggled during my marathon. And in hindsight, I struggled through a lot of my training as well. My body has not fully recovered. And there were things I probably should have done differently. But I can only take the lessons I learned and move forward.
Which brings me to my  
Strong is Sexy Challenge.

One of the keys problems I had during my race was an issue of strength. Surprisingly enough, the girl with the robot heart had strong cardiovascular endurance throughout. It was the rest of my body that failed me. My upper body strength (while always on the weaker side) has decreased that much more following my surgery. And as reigning cardio queen, I have done absolutely nothing about it.

It is time to change all that. I have decided to make friends with weights, and get this body strong. I want to be a lean mean Marathon Training machine, so I am making a commitment to strength training.

My goal for the next 2 months is to work on increasing my muscle mass and getting strong as I head into the New Year. And my plan is pretty simple.

This Month I will... 
* Eat Clean - This is not about following any crazy rules, or dubbing food good or bad. It is just an effort to eat healthy, whole, nourishing food with a focus on protein, to help give those muscles the fuel they need. (I follow the 80/20 rule. I try to eat clean, whole, nutritious food 80% of the time, but sometime a girl just needs a cookie or a glass of wine and that makes up the other 20% of my diet)

*Strength Train - 3x/week. My routine will be to do 2 crossfit classes + 1 at-home upper body workout

*Run 3x/week - continue running, coaching, and training but at smaller distances (between 5-15km)

I will check back in every week with my progress and plan moving forward. And I would love to have you AMAZING folks join in the fun. Any other reigning Cardio Queens (or Kings) wanna work on getting tickets to the Gun Show? Let's get strong together and help keep each other on track!

Tweet Me - @Darwinianfail
Use the Hashtag #StrongisSexy
Message me on Facebook
Oh and I love Instagram so send me your strong and sexy pics @DarwinianFail too

Let's do this people! Because Strong is Sexy and being Healthy is Fabulous!
Love your Favourite Darwinian Fail,