Tuesday, 13 September 2011

Fall Reboot, Restart, Re-do

I wanted to start off by saying a HUGE thank you to all my real-life and blog-o-sphere friends for the amazing feedback you all gave me this past week. The response has been incredible, and something I was really not expecting. I honestly forget that people take the time to read my little blog, so a huge mechanical-heart felt thank you to everyone who took the time to write me!!

Anyone who read my last blog post knows I pretty much spent the last week having a bit of a Pity Party for myself. I was feeling hopelessly hideous and incredibly annoyed with my defective genetics. Needless to say spending my free time taking care of my seemingly useless body was not really on my agenda. I managed to convince myself it was a good idea to go for one very short run, and to toss in a quick strength training session while I was at it. But I pretty much spent the rest of the week filling my tummy with sweets (oreos were my drug of choice) to dull the pain. And indulging in more than my fair share of a little Chardonnay. Not my finest hour!

After I got that out of my system and began to recover from my hangover on Sunday I realized that perhaps this is not the best way to handle things...Perhaps...And I started to rethink life a little bit. I am still feeling uneasy about the aesthetic changes that are soon to take place, and I think this stems largely from the fear of the unknown mixed with some legit concerns. But I have been reminding myself that I am going to such extremes to be HEALTHY. There is no known cure for Breast Cancer or my arrhythmia (Long QT), only treatment options. So until the day arrives where both of my Darwinian Failures can be cured, prevention is a MUST!

This surgery is an extreme measure and making this decision should be the hard part, committing to a healthy lifestyle should be the obvious choice. To truly be healthy I have to commit to making regular exercise and proper diet a priority. It doesn't make sense for me to go through these major changes if I am only half-assing the other areas of my life - which brings me to my Fall Reboot.  After many weeks of inactivity due to my sprained ankle, and my lax attitude about diet last week I am recommitting myself to this journey.
LETS DO THIS PEOPLE!

My New Goals are as follows...
1. Commit to Being Active 5 Days/week
- with my primary exercise plan revolving around my love of Running and Spin Class, with a little Strength Training mixed in there for good measure

2. Run a Half Marathon and a Full Marathon in 2012
- I want to train for a half marathon and a full marathon to help me regain my strength post-operatively
- and to prove to myself that I am in control of my own body and my health, and this seems like just the daunting task I need to challenge myself

3. Commit to Eating a Healthy Well-Balanced Diet
- this will include Real Whole Food (skip the processed stuff),
- focus primarily on fruits and veggies for all their disease battling vitamins and antioxidants
- and sticking to the 80/20 principal (if you are good 80% of the time you can indulge guilt-free the other 20% - its all about a balance friends we're playing for keeps here!)

4. KICK GENETICS ASS!

Love your Favourite Darwinian Fail,
Krysten